Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Teenagers are Great!

I love teenagers! I've collaborated with teenagers on several important projects. I think, many times, teens are highly underestimated, but, once they feel trusted, they never cease to amaze me with their openness, willingness, and original creative energy. When I work with teens my life is enhanced beyond description. Sometimes we forget how amazing they are. In my opinion the only reason teenagers get all tough acting is because they don't feel heard. They don't feel honored.

Trying to catch up on a few movies I've never had the time to watch I rented Freedom Writers. This is an important film that will inspire dialogue with your kids on many levels; tolerance, education, prejudice, violence, etc. It is filled with such love and compassion, so grab that kleenex box, because  I bet you and your kids will shed a tear or two just like we did. Personally I lost count at 5 times during my viewing.

Hilary Swank's performance is spot on, never mind the first time actors playing the kids! They are all fabulous. The energy jumps off the screen.  As Erin Gruwell, Swank is vulnerable, determined, and relentless in her desire to give time and a chance to a group of students who are rough gang members and considered to be categorically unteachable. She successfully battles an education system that simply doesn't work (hmmmm, sound familiar. . .Waiting for Superman?) and reaches these kids through literature they can relate to. She then gives them each a simple, yet, profound gift and the opportunity to put their pain into something they've never had; their own personal and private journals. As they write about their remarkable stories they learn to trust, and find out they are not alone in the world of horrific experiences. Ms. Gruwell teaches them about the Holocaust and in turn they learn about themselves and what they are truly capable of.

Eventually the real life Erin Gruwell, with the help and permission of her students (above), went onto publish their astonishing stories in a book entitled The Freedom Writers. Check out Erin Gruwell's website to witness what is possible when we take the time to honor, respect and teach each of our children.

To be continued. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment