Sunday, September 26, 2010

Jump Rope Rhymes, Clapping Rhymes: Part II



As promised I have a great list of rhyming books for you, courtesy of author Tom Dalzell, to keep in your "to be collected" collection. There are a total of 27 books and 3 categories. I have divided them into; Jump Rope Rhymes, Counting Rhymes, and Rhymes from other countries/miscellaneous.

Before I get to the fabulous list, I have to say; it sure seems like everything vintage is new again. People are buying mid-century modern houses (I have one myself), implementing updated elements of mid-century décor, doing more gardening, canning, sewing, DIY projects, recycling or re-purposing old furniture, the list goes on. I've been wondering why that is. Perhaps we are looking to the past in order to simplify our lives, get back to what is really important, or find the answers to how to turn our upside down world right side up. I know that when I do things my mom did or taught me to do when I was growing up, say, like, canning (please, I am not an expert on this one!) or sewing (kind of good at this), I feel more connected to my creative spirit and my home life. Doing these activities allow me to slow way down and to feel gratitude for what I do have knowing that what I have is more than plenty. When I do these things I don't feel the urge to mindlessly consume and that feels good too.

And when it comes to kids, the same holds true;  when we take the time to introduce our children to the games and activities we did when we were kids we honor our past and our future. This, in turn, allows them to slow down and enjoy the same kind of play that we enjoyed. Rhymes and rhyming games are a big part of this process. After all, rhymes of all sorts require the verbal passing of the torch from generation to generation.

Jumping rope isn't just a vintage activity. It is actually an ancient activity. That's right; jump rope dates back to 1600 B.C. in Ancient Egypt. I have a picture in my mind of Egyptians jump roping on their pyramid building breaks. Could it be that humans actually have an urge to jump rope? Could that be because jumping rope is totally fun? And addicting? Most of us did it as kids. And we did it together. We jumped rope every day at recess. We jumped rope at home after school. We practiced our Double Dutch skills so that we could impress our peers at school. When I was in high school, we even had a jump roping squad, called, The Deacon Dollies that were amazing! How's that for an inventive, artistic, and athletic activity for kids to showcase at basketball games?


When kids jump rope and do rhymes at the same time they are engaging their bodies, focusing their minds, and verbal skills all at once! And as I like to say, this would be "layered learning". Bring it on!

So here's the Jump Rope Rhyme list:

1. Jewels. . .Children's Play Rhymes
Selected by Shelley Harwayne/Illustrated by Teresa Farr

2. The Kingfisher Playtime Treasure
A Collection of Playground Rhymes, Games and Action Songs Selected by Pie Corbett/Illustrated 
By Moira & Colin Maclean


3. Children's Counting-Out Rhymes, Fingerplays, 
Jump-Rope and Bounce-ball Chants and Other Rhythms
By Gloria T. Delamar

4. Jump-Rope-Rhymes
Collected and Illustrated by Barbara McGee, 1968

5. Children's Games in Street and Playground
 By Iona & Peter Opie, 1969

6. I Saw Essau. . .The Schoolchild's Pocket Book
Edited by Iona & Peter Opie/Illustrated by Maurice Sendak
            This collection is an absolute must have!

7. Did You Feed My Cow? Street Games, Chants, and Rhymes
Compiled by Margaret Taylor Burroughs, 1969

8. Jump the Rope Jingles
By emma Vietor Worstell/Illustrated by Sheila Greenwald, 1961

9. Miss Mary Mac All Dressed in Black;
Tongue Twisters, Jump Rope Rhymes, and Other Children's Lore from New England
 By Scott E. Hastings, Jr.

10. Halloweena Hecatee & Other Rhymes to Skip to
By Cynthia Mitchell/Illustrated by Eileen Browne, 1979

11. Skipping to Babylon. . .A collection of Skipping Rhymes
Compiled and Illustrated by Carole Tate, 1985

Most of these titles are available through Amazon or ordered through your local indie bookstore.

To be continued. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment